Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Poetry, Art, and Expression of Words

This week’s reading really got me thinking about the differences between poetry and other forms of artistic expressions that utilize words and letters to convey their message. While I certainly thought the examples within the handout were unique and clever, I must admit that while looking at them I felt that I wasn’t viewing poetry, but a different form of art. In the end, I felt very confused and lost on exactly what defines poetry from other forms of art.

After looking over the handout and thinking of other examples of poetry we have read, I came up with my own personal definition of what constitutes a poem oppose to a form of art. My personal opinion is that both poetry and other forms art can use words to express their own personal meanings, but where they differ is in how the words are used to accomplish this. I believe that poetry is unique in the fact that it uses letters, sounds, and words to create images and emotions within the reader. Oppose to other forms of art that instead use words, letters, and sounds to be a part of an actual image that in turn causes the viewer/reader to feel certain emotions and thoughts.

Overall, while my definition may not cover every poet or artist’s works, it certainly gave me a base for understanding poetry and art better. Ultimately whether as an image or a creator of an image I believe words can be powerful tools in expression, and I look forward to learning more about both styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment