Monday, September 28, 2009

Writer's Block

I don't know if this helps anyone, but whenever I write a poem, or anything for that matter, I don't try to think of what I want to say, or what kind of rhyme scheme I feel like using; the only thing I do is start making up single sentences in my head that I think sound interesting. Usually, thinking of one line causes me to think of a second. At this point, the only thing I know about my poem is that I want those two lines in there. Starting with that premise, I am able to make a poem and form ideas as to what direction I want my poem to take and how I want to transition from the fist of the preconceived lines to the second. Maybe I'm just weird and that method only works for me, but if there is anyone in the class who can't think of anything to write about, maybe give it a try, see what happens. On a side note, because this is the way I tend to approach writing, I find it difficult to write within the constraints of a prompt. The assignmet about tension was a much more difficult poem for me to write than either of the workshop pieces. Anyway, I hope I someone finds my thought process to be useful in overcoming their writer's block. Either way, I'll probably need some help getting over my own writer's block for the next prompted assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment