Sunday, September 20, 2009

reflection on first workshop experience...

I completely agree with Alex’s comment. I really loved the workshopping. Unfortunately I was sick all weekend starting with Thursday and thus missed class but at least I got to experience the first day of workshop. I really felt like we all benefitted from the workshopping and as Alex noted, looking critically at everyone else’s poetry in turn benefitted me as a critic and especially as a writer. I felt like while I may not have written the poetry I definitely gained experience from the work of my peers in the techniques I choose to explore in the future and how I will go about using different techniques. While giving feedback was much more personally beneficial than expected, getting feedback from my peers was naturally extremely beneficial as well. It was particularly interesting and reassuring to me that the comments I received from my peers were quite in line with the comments I later received from Professor Hummer. I really liked getting critiqued on my own work because it showed me what others felt was most appealing about my own work which didn’t always line up with what I personally felt was most appealing. In this aspect I think the workshop was the most useful to me because it sort of redirected me as a writer to what aspects of my poetry I should be playing into the most. All in all I truly loved the workshopping. It was wonderful to read the work of my peers (go group 2! ☺) and it was also exciting and helpful to receive feedback on my own work. Truly looking forward to the next workshop!!

No comments:

Post a Comment