Tuesday, September 29, 2009

getting out of the box

This class has been really good at opening my eyes to all sorts of different poetry. However, with that, I've been finding it hard branch out of my little box type of poetry. Everyone else seems to write so well and have different writing styles; it's inspiring but also intimidating at the same time. I find myself wanting to write more like everyone else but once I sit down, I realize I'm just writing the same thing as always. Most of my poems I find are the same rhyme pattern and the same old cliche lines. I think I am going to really try to change my poetry and what I write about. Professor Hummer keeps talking about maybe taking a line or two from a familiar poem and twisting it around and building on that, and I think I might try that in order to get out of my writer's block and same old routine of poetry. Someone also had a good point of just working off of two lines that I write and really like and want to incorporate. Something I really want to accomplish, is writing abstract poems because I think they are really intriguing and thought provoking. I'm not sure I quite know how to do that yet, so if anyone has any suggestions on how to do this, that would be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment