Monday, September 21, 2009

Bluebeard- Thoughts On This Pool Of Inspiration

After reading all the assigned poems for this week, I admit I found the fact that all of the poems/stories referenced (or even played with) the original story of Bluebeard fascinating. I was fortunate enough to actually read the entire original story in high school, which made understanding the references within the different poems easier. However, while I was reading I was left with a one large question. Why has the story of Bluebeard (and the Grimm brother’s the Fletcher’s Bird) been such a pool of an inspiration for so many poets and authors?

Certainly the story is a classic and is well known, but I personally find it hard to believe that so many writers would reference the story simply for its popularity. Since popularity alone doesn’t seem realistic, I’m led to believe that there must be something special about this story and its meaning. Perhaps it is in the story’s unique phrasing of the common message “curiosity killed the cat” or for the stories statement on the place of men and women, the embodiment of “the closet full of secrets”, etc. Of course the story could simply be referenced for the unique characters like the psychotic Bluebeard and his curious wife. In end I guess I am left to accept that it’s probably for all of these reasons that the story of Bluebeard is referenced so much and put into so many new perspectives. Overall, I look forward to going over all the poems tomorrow and seeing what all of you thought. See you all then.

No comments:

Post a Comment