Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I think the workshopping aspect of all of my writing classes at SLU have been my favorite. Not only do I love sharing what I have written (even when it is not my favorite piece) but I love listening to what my peers have done. Talking and verbally sharing what we are getting from the reading is the best way to do it. I think it is not only an eye-opening experience for the writer, but also the readers. Whenever my peers have read my work in the past and been confused with something that was written it is very eye-opening as a writer. Sometimes what we write, and what we think makes perfect sense is not the same for the person reading it. Being able to open your reader up to the way your mind works and your own train of thought is one of the most important part of writing and perhaps the hardest. If we can write something that we feel is beautiful and very symbolic, but no one else gets it, then this piece of writing has failed to do what we hoped: share the inner workings of our mind.
Besides making sure that we have images and connections that are recognizable to everyone, what is also wonderful about workshops is that it is place to collect ideas about how to expand your initial ideas! I love hearing someone else's idea on how to expand one particular section and then hear a completely different suggestion from another peer. What is best about the many different perspectives we have is that we get to pick the advice we take or leave. It is sometimes overwhelming to get all the advice at once, but I think just taking it all in and later going through it is a valuable skill to learn.
In short, I have had a good time reading the poems from my group for today and I am excited to see what other people have come up with as suggestions and share my own thoughts. I am also excited to see what people have to say about my poem on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment