Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Reflections

As others before me have mentioned, I too think that the workshops were very beneficial. Although, after this past week's reading of everyone's poems, I found it a bit intimidating to have mine read and to read mine aloud. I felt like everyone else had far more complex and intriguing poems, with being abstract and uniquely emotional. To be honest, as I read some of them, I felt as if I were reading them in a published poetry book! So many people had amazing lines and lyrical rhyme and meaning. Although I was shy to share mine, it was very inspiring and eye opening to read my peer's poems. These first two workshops have really made me realize that I am stuck in a certain way of writing and I really need to branch out and expand my writing style and thoughts. I feel that I am almost too straightforward with my writing and would like to gravitate towards writing more abstract pieces; along with being more original and creative with my choice of words and breaking up lines. It was certainly a bruise to the "ego" (which wasn't very large anyway) to go through this process; or rather I guess more of a wake-up call, for me to really take advantage of the inspiration around me in class that I get from my peers, who are very talented. Props to everyone for having such creative abilities and thank you!

As for the poems we had to read for class this Tuesday, I found it very interesting that they all dealt with men vs. women, the forbidden closet or room, and all referring to Bluebeard. I've never read or heard of this type of poem or topic so I look forward to understanding and discussing it/them more in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment