Monday, September 7, 2009

Response to Dylan... and my own thoughts

I agree Dylan... I really feel like the class discussion on the Dorothy Parker poem was extremely constructive for all of us. It's extremely interesting to be able to find a deeper understanding through the way other people understand things which I guess is what poetry is all about anyway. I really loved Parker's Poem and the way she pushes the envelope in her delivery. As we said in class.... "very sex and the city".

Something else that I've been thinking a lot after all of the reading we have been doing is the difference between contemporary and classic poetry. I really have barely any experience with truly contemporary poetry but the more we read the more interesting it is. Although it is a little difficult to get used to, especially after having only read (a lot of) classic poetry, reading contemporary poetry has been an extremely refreshing experience. Not only do I enjoy feeling how different it is than the classic poetry we're reading but I also enjoy the familiar undertones that remind me of the classics. I think that this undertone is less about the actual poetry itself and more about the way it makes me feel. I suppose I'm learning that there is somewhat of a universal feel of poetry that I get regardless of type of poem. As we've talked about (and blogged about) good poetry takes you outside of yourself and I think that is why I am still enjoying the contemporary poetry... regardless of how different it is from the other types of poetry that I've loved in the past it takes me outside of myself and that is what I love about it.

Was wondering if anyone had any sort of similar experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment