Monday, September 14, 2009

First Poetry Workshop

At first, I was not overthrilled about this assignment, largely because no one has ever read any of the poetry I have written, but after I began writing, it became easier and easier for me. Then I looked at the poems that some of my other classmates had come up with and began to really look forward to Tuesday's class. I still don't really know how I feel about the critique aspect of tomorrow's class, though. It's not that I don't value criticism, I actually enjoy hearing other people's viewpoints on what I have written, but I have never actually done a revision of any of my work, whether it be a school assignment or a personal writing. I have always tried to apply criticism in future pieces, but I have always either kept what I had or scrapped it and started fresh with those new ideas in mind. Thinking about it now, I might be starting to look forward to the revision process. Another thing I find a bit daunting about the upcoming class period, however, is criticising the work of others. In some cases, ideas for possible improvement or new ideas and perspectives come to me as I read the poems, but for the most part, I find my fellow classmates to be so impressive that I really do have to think about how something like that can be improved when I frequently doubt whether I could do as well myself. I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment