Thursday, October 1, 2009

I enjoyed so much the class we spent in the art gallery on Tuesday.  I thought looking at the kind of art/poetry that Sister Corita created was beautiful.  I felt somewhat similar to Gary when I first came into class having read the packet for that day, and I wasn't sure how I felt about some of the pieces that we had read/looked at.  There seems to be a fine line between some of these "poems" and it seems difficult to distinguish between poetry and art.  
I have been thinking about this difference a lot, wondering how I could specifically define or differentiate the two.  I think poetry for the most part plays with words and their meaning collectively, whereas art like Sister Corita and others plays with letters, expressions and visual representations more.  Poetry is dominated by words whereas, this art is a collection/collage of all of the above.
On the other hand however, there is still a part of me that believes that art is always spread across a spectrum, and there are always different variations and techniques.  So to say that what Sister Corita does is not poetry does not sit well with me either.
Whatever it is however, I loved it.  I liked not being able to know exactly what she was trying to say at first glance, but piecing together all the different pictures, words, colors, and styles you could draw your own conclusion.  She had strong opinions, but did not push them on us.  She questioned us rather, pushed us to think which I thought was very impressive.
I also loved the activity, picking out words and phrases, images and colors of our own, but we didn't have enough time! I wish we could have had this as an assignment, or one of our poems because I thought it was a great variation on the usual technique we are used to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment