Saturday, September 12, 2009

1st Workshop!

I found it very enjoyable reading my classmates’ creations for workshop this week. It is amazing how everyone has a different style and approach to writing, as well as different inspirations and goals. I suppose this makes sense, as we are each individuals. This, to me, is what makes poetry so unique and free. One can write a deep, dramatic piece that touches others emotionally, or one can write a light, silly, humorous poem that provides the reader with a different, yet equally strong, emotion.

Another discovery I have made is how I seem to be more drawn to poems written in styles that are unlike my own. This is not what I expected myself to enjoy. I am intrigued by what and from where others find their inspiration. I have already read classmates’ poems with plots and meanings I would never think of writing myself. Perhaps I could learn to look beyond the topics that I naturally tend to write about, such as love, friendship or sports, and use my other passions or pain in life to write poems. I really enjoyed poems that were centered on a specific moment in time or emotion, but that could spread for many lines, without getting boring or changing the topic. I think slowing time down is quite a challenge and a form of art that, when done well, can be quite powerful and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment