Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Blubeard & Writer's Block

I enjoyed today’s class discussion about the Bluebeard legend and the assigned set of poems that interpreted the legend differently. It’s so interesting to see how different writers, who come from diverse backgrounds, are able to give the legend their own unique twist by adding elements of their emotional background and interpretations. In particular, I really admired Sylvia Plath’s poem Bluebeard because although it was simple, it had a profound message. Its tone was very empowering because the woman is sending back the key to Bluebeard and regaining her power. It is apparent that Plath is giving the legend a feminist twist, and dismantling the power that is rooted within the man (Bluebeard) in the relationship. I also thought it was interesting how the types of rhymes in the poem have gender incorporated into their name (masculine rhyme, etc.), and how the different genders in rhyme correlate with the tension between women and men reflected in the poem. In my opinion, this technique definitely made the point of the poem more affective.

I’m a bit disappointed that I’ve run into writer’s block. I feel like my ability to absorb inspiration is going through a detour and has not reached its destination in my mind. It’s weird because there are so many different things a person can write about… really, it can be about anything! I guess I’m just lacking ways to assign unique metaphors to the ideas I have and the feelings I’m experiencing. To gain additional inspiration, I usually try to immerse myself in nature and gain insight about my surroundings and myself through each experience. I’ve been really inspired by the array of people I have met since the beginning of the school year, so I may try using my conversations with them to aid in creating more poetry. Do any of you have any techniques for combating writer’s block? Hopefully, I’ll be able to get inspired before Thursday’s poem is due!

1 comment:

  1. Something that might work:
    Choose an event you want to write about, but feel stuck with (writer's block, obvi you feel stuck). Then make a BUNCH of lists. Make a list of all the audible details, then a list of the visible details, a list of the smells, a list of the tastes, a list of textures, colors, emotions. It might not help right away, but if you make a couple long lists and then read over them later, they might re-process into a poetic organization.
    I hope that helps!! (It doesn't always work for me, but its worth a shot...)

    ReplyDelete