Monday, October 19, 2009

Villanelle

Learning about the different commonly used poetic devices is one of my main reasons for taking this course. I am often ambivalent to such constructs. On the one hand, they are commonplace because they are effective means of portraying ideas. On the other hand, however, using a format for poetry does constrict one's writing style. I don't think this actually affects the amount of creativity involved because I think that finding a way to work within the confines of a format is just as creatively demanding as developing your own format. Anyway, I digress. In short, I share my fellow classmates' interest and excitement in working with the villanelle and it is likely that at least one of my next workshop poems will follow that formula. I also look forward to seeing what other members of my group can do should they decide to experiment with this format as well. On a side note, I would like to get some of my previous work returned so that I might be able to rework some of it, particularly the energy and tension poem, for further workshopping in class. I tried something a little different than what I usually do, and I would like to see what I can make out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment