Sunday, October 4, 2009

Striving to improve

In relation to what Tory said about expanding ones writing style, I definitely feel in a way that I too do very similar things in most of my poetry. I have a perception in my head that better poetry is all about showing more than one is telling. If there is a concept that I want to get across, whether it’s a feeling or something grander, I’ll try and see how I can do it visually. However, since being in this class I’ve learned that there really is no acute definition to “good” or “better” poetry in a general sense, except in terms of what one likes. It seems to be in some cases just personal choice. However, the fact that we are being graded on our poetry seems, in one sense, to contradict that. I feel that one can grade poetry, just as one can evaluate good art from bad art. One can make such distinctions not necessarily by a formula of color, amount of feeling induced, or topic, but can distinguish between high and low quality art based on how well one was able to transmit the desired goal/effect. Someone with no prior experience to painting or writing can make art and poetry, but as it would make sense they would have frustration over not being able to fully express their feelings. Therefore, one can, in sense, grade poetry and art, and therefore strive to make it better. However, it still all depends on the context of what one is striving to improve, whether it be imagery, rhyme scheme, comprehensive structure, or a feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment