Tuesday, December 1, 2009

response to the starving artist...

Love the topic Shaunie. You bring up some good points about the starving artist but I think that my position on the subject is that this notion of the starving artist is somewhat sacred and preserves the authenticity of artists everywhere. While obviously in some ways I wish we lived in a world where art was valued above finance and all that other boring stuff I can't help but appreciate the way that the artist lifestyle is unique in the sense that it is a choice people make based solely around what they love to do. Maybe I was just being too hard on the math wizzes a second ago. I don’t really have anything against people who love math or accounting or science or anything for that matter. I guess what I’m trying to say is not that we should necessarily place a higher value you art in our world but the idea behind why and how artists make the lifestyle decisions that they do. I think it is an extremely admirable way to go. I’m kind of rambling but my conclusion is that regardless of what you love and regardless of how much money what you love can provide you with, your lifestyle choice should be based on love and not on money. That being said can we really blame people for choosing a job that makes them more money over doing something that they love if say their priority above art (just an example) is providing for their family? Or is demonstrating love based decision making more important to a blossoming family than money? I don’t really know the right answer except that this is a good question.

No comments:

Post a Comment