Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Poetry for Peace, December 8th 2009

The last poetry for piece that took place on December 8th was in truth the first I had ever seen at SLU. Despite hearing about them first semester, I was never really informed on when they occurred, how they were run, or where they were located. Finally getting to chance to see one, even if it was in an attempt to complete the blog assignment for class was very interesting. Although, there were only around eight of us who actually came and even less of us who had poetry to read. I thought the event was an overall good attempt of bringing some more artistic expression on campus. I also thought the theme of home was a great a idea, and I loved all the varying poems read about making your way back home, finding your own home within yourself, etc. However the conversations we as group were having at the end of a very short string of readings really got me thinking.

People were talking about previous poetry slams they had gone to, the excitement and the thrill that students and other everyday poets alike put into their works trying to win over the audience and above all have fun. Inevitably the conversation turned into how Canton feels so secluded and empty and how students really need don’t leave campus for events. These conversations got me into thinking of what it would take to get that same type of poetry thrill and following here at SLU. Although I thought the poetry for peace was nice, it clearly isn’t drawing big crowds or really anyone new. My thoughts on how to make it better would be to one publicize it more, push for anyone on campus to come including faculty and staff through banners and colorful posters. But most importantly if you want a following or attention it must be made more accessible and noticeable. My idea would be to make these poetry for peace readings take place where the average student can see them and take part in them or at the very least know that they exist. Maybe try booking the Winston room, Sykes formal lounge, etc. I think if this event was more out in the open, perhaps more people would participate and then bigger events could be planned. Just my thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment