Sunday, December 13, 2009

Poetry for Peace, December 8th

That was the third Poetry for Peace event that I have been to while at SLU. They all have been pretty small, which is a pity. Last spring there was a poetry slam at Brewer Bookstore, and think events like that should maybe be held in the Student Center or integrated more into Open Mic Nights at Java and Pub 56, because really good readings and slams can be absolutely electrifying. I love hearing people read their own work, because it really gives you a better sense of how a poem is in its most organic form, the way that the poet originally heard it. At the December 8th Poetry for Peace we were talking a bit about how poetry reading really is a performance art, and in thinking about that I've come to the conclusion that that aspect of the craft is underpracticed. Dylan was saying how she feels uncomfortable reading aloud or performing her poetry, and I used to be exactly the same way. It really is all about practicing, and the more you read it out loud, the easier and more fun it gets.
With some poets, I actually like their work better alound than on the page...for instance, some free verse poems look so stiff and choppy on the page, but performed get a rhythm that doesn't come across in reading.
I want to practice performing poems, especially my own, since I don't read those aloud as often. I think poetry readings add an entirely new dimension to the art, and maybe its just St. Lawrence, but that dimension seems underrated. I also think reading aloud (judging from our workshops) helps me identify changes I want to make in my poems, helps me polish my work. Attending the Poetry for Peace readings motivates me to explore the various facets of poetry a bit more, "expand my horizons", so to speak.
Pray for snow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment