Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Poetry Reading Event

I went to my first poetry reading event on Tuesday, December 8 at the Brush Art Gallery. There were only seven students there including myself, and a man by the name of John BerbrichI . .. He read a few pieces from his book of poetry called 'Balancing Act'. The theme of his poems was 'home'. I feel this is a great theme for writing because everyone knows how safe and reassuring their own home can be. Home gives people a sense of belonging and meaning. This is especially the case for college students who are away from their family and childhood friends for the very first time. For myself, being 3,000 miles from home, and in a different country, home is much more than a four-letter word. He had a very distinct style of writing. His poems were all free verse, and told a vivid story. I had no trouble following along with his thoughts as he read his pieces aloud to us. Story telling is definitely a gift. To be able to captivate an audience with only words and a voice is an impressive skill. I have not yet gained the confidence to read my poetry aloud to people, but a few of my peers did. Courtney Hendrick read a piece about her mother and her, which was a gorgeous poem she read with great feeling and expression. I could picture the two of them and was nostalgic about my own mother and I. I find it off that I am nervous to read my own pieces aloud, and yet I will write a song and sing it as I play the piano. I guess the reason could be because poetry is new to me, and I don't have any background music to take attention away from my voice, or the words I am saying.
The reading was a good experience and I do intend to attend ml .

1 comment:

  1. I got cut off! I will continue...
    I do intend to attend more next semester, and hopefully, I can muster up the courage to read one of my own pieces. I think if more students knew of the poetry events that go on at SLU, they could turn into really great places for students with a passion for writing, poetry, reading or simply listening.

    ReplyDelete