Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Favorite Poem of the Week

I loved reading everyones blogs and I hope everyone had an awesome thanksgiving! I know that we have been talking about the starving artist and some other poems from Norton but I wanted to share my favorite! I really liked Why I Am Not a Painter because I could see myself writing a poem just like it. It also reminded me of when we went into the art gallery and looked at the art which was mainly composed of words. When reading the part about sardines, it reminded me of how poets start their work, just as painters may do. There is a word, or a memory, that jolts the painter or writer that makes the person interested in investing in the subject. It may be covered up by the end and compleatly be changed and on a different topic, but it just reminds me that inspiration can come from anywhere and be rapidly changing. In this poem he begins to write and write and write about this orange and in the end it ended up not even being soley about the orange itself. I know that that can also happen to me where an idea may blossom but become something entirely different. When the man in the poem went back to see his friends work, he saw the title, the main word that he ended up taking out. This also reminds me of titles and how hard they may be to come by. I know that I have issues with them but this could be a good technique; to take a word that you may have taken out, or didnt think was that important and use it as the title of work or of your poem. It may bring a different element into the picture and make the reader or viewer look at your work with a different lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment