Thursday, December 3, 2009

Response to the starving artist post

So, I thought I’d throw it out there for discussion what this all means. Do you guys think we live in a world that, in a sense, punishes those that are creative, and is this particularly true for poets? Is it hard to make a living from poetry because the craft has become under-appreciated in contemporary society?

Shaunie, I'm really glad you brought up this topic! This year, I've really grown to appreciate the role poetry plays in my life, and I would like to continue to expand my "creativity tunnel" and possibly get published in the future. However, I realize that the world we live in does not promote the idea that just anyone should pursue the arts. Although artists can produce a great number of works, their works may not be well received by critics or the masses. As a result, many artists and writers struggle because they do not receive high income. However, I feel that this lifestyle is something that the artist consciously acknowledges--a true artist is someone who will take a blow or make a sacrifice, all for the sake of art.

It is true that artists and writers can make a decent salary by holding some sort of job. I think it would be really ideal for someone with a creative nature to work in a place where there is an opportunity to meet a variety of people, and to get an opportunity to really listen to and observe what people say and do. This kind of opportunity can aid a writer to expand their creative horizons and understand a variety of perspectives on many issues. I think what is important for any artist to remember is this: being receptive to the change within the self and the energy in others is what yields great art.

No comments:

Post a Comment