Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I would just like to comment on a few random things pertaining to the class. First, one style of poetry that I find really intriguing is taking another author's work and removing most of the words in order to change the meaning of the poem. I feel like this would be a fun exercise and could result in some unexpected thoughts. One thing I didn't really like about the examples that we saw was that there seemed to be too much omission for my taste, removing all but a few words from a fourteen-line poem. The second comment I would like to make is that I am really looking forward to Nathaniel Mackey coming to visit. I am really impressed with his diction, but I would like to hear what he has to say about his work because, as of now, it seems convoluted to me, almost unnecessarily vague. I think I read his poems well over a dozen times and was still only able to glean pieces of coherent thought. Also, one of my friends attends UC Santa Cruz, so I find myself wondering what Mr. Mackey would be like as a poetry teacher. It seems like he could have some very useful advice for our class of future poets. Overall, I am looking forward to the next few class periods.

No comments:

Post a Comment