Monday, November 30, 2009

Ars Poetica

After finishing this week’s reading I must admit I’m much more intrigued with the idea of writing an Ars Poetica for our final portfolios after reading some that great poets like Dylan Thomas did. At first I simply saw an Ars Poetica as the old simple prompt “why write?” in poetry form, but looking at those done by Archibald MacLeish and Frank O'Hara I see it is much more. An Ars Poetica is an opportunity to answer through poetry the very personal questions of what is poetry to us as authors, what do we want our poetry to stand for others and ourselves. As professor hummer was getting at before break it is a chance to express what writing poetry for our audiences and for us really means. It’s much more than a simply introduction or a opener to our portfolios, it is in reality a poem that should touch upon all the major themes of our own writing and lives as well as provide a digestible context to them. Neverless while I feel like I understand the upcoming assignment a lot better I still have a lot to decide on how I plan to form my own. Specifically what themes and messages are most important to me to be relayed back to my audiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment