Monday, August 31, 2009

Not sure of an appropriate title...Blog #1!

Well, this is my very first time blogging! Who knew it would occur during sophomore year for a class at SLU. My full name is Dylan Alexandra May Cutler, but I respond best to Dylan. I am here at SLU to study all sorts of science courses in order to hopefully get in (and through!) medical school. I am planning on majoring in Neuroscience, and getting a minor in Sports Science. This is because my two passions in life are sports and helping people. Therefore, I am determined to study sports medicine and became either an athletic therapist or doctor. I love the thrill and challenge involved in competitive athletics, and can’t stand being injured and consequentially, helplessly watching from the bench. This is why I want to prevent and treat athletes who have the similar passion for their sport that I do.

My home is in the beautiful province of British Columbia, on the west coast of CANADA. I live 5 minutes from a beach on the Pacific Ocean. I love everything about the ocean. Its sound, its view, its feel, its serenity all enchants me. I live in the tourist destination city named Victoria, which is on Vancouver Island. Activities common to the area include whale watching, fishing, skiing, snowboarding, water sports, hiking, camping and sailing.

Aside from writing, I think it is clear already that my interests and hobbies revolve around sports! I love and play field hockey here at SLU. I also love ice hockey and am hopelessly devoted to the Montreal Canadiens NHL hockey team. I have been with them through thick and thin! Maybe my love for hockey is a Canadian thing, but nonetheless, no one can deny how great of a battle a good hockey game is. I ALSO enjoy playing volleyball (wish I was taller) and soccer (wish I was Mia Hamm).

I have had mostly good experiences with feedback I have received for my writing because any bad feedback I receive I take easily and with the intention to improve upon my weaknesses. My best experience was probably when I was asked to read a poem I had written to the class, however, it could also count as a bad experience as I was very embarrassed to let everyone know my true feelings about a certain someone!

My favorite poem is ‘The Road Not Taken’ by Robert Frost. I find it very inspirational and easily relatable for many people as it conveys a message about making choices in life that are right for you, and not what others may have chosen. I also am a fan of the poet and rap artist Tupac Shakur. His poetry is not the most grammatically correct, but it definitely doesn’t lack meaning or purpose. He lived a very hard life and had to deal with a lot of adversity and family heartbreak. His poetry is straight from his experiences and inner feelings, which I admire and strive to produce.

In my opinion, good poetry is well-thought out, and has a strong message (or maybe multiple messages). It has symmetry in its thoughts from the start to end, and takes more than one read to take in every line and thought expressed.

In this class, I want to expand my knowledge on the classic poetry that has already been written, as well as become more comfortable about sharing my words and feelings with other people. I feel poetry is a means of expressing oneself in a constructive way that can also touch others. I look forward to sharing and learning from all my classmates!

No comments:

Post a Comment