Friday, August 28, 2009

Bonjour, tout le monde!

As I have grown older, I have developed such an appreciation for learning about the world I live in. Over years, I have learned to utilize my creativity in a manner in which I can express myself in this coming of age life of mine. I am planning on declaring a double major in English-Creative Writing and French. When I was younger, I developed a love affair with literature and expressing my creativity through the use of words. Reading books and novels with a careful eye gives me incredible insight into worlds much different than mine. I also like to channel my inspiration from works into my own personal writing. I also enjoy experiencing the richness of other cultures through travel and reading. Although I have never gone to France, I am captivated by the unique elegance of the French culture and language. The French language possesses a lovely soul, similar to the strong spirit built inside every French citizen. It is, in essence, beautiful. From the richness of the sounds that roll off the tip of your tongue to the unique idioms and witty phrases that are distinct to the language, the sophistication of the French has had an impact on many writers from around the world. Last year, I decided that I want to become fluent in French. I plan on studying abroad in France during autumn of junior year, but I may decide to study there for the entire year after seeing how I adjust to living in France. I hope to write a great deal about my experiences while I’m living outside America.

I am from a small suburb in Northern New Jersey, approximately 20 minutes outside New York City. In all honesty, it’s somewhat mundane to live here. There are a lot of wealthy people who like to flaunt their money, and there is so much being developed (more “improved” buildings and houses, etc.), that it is getting to a point where there is too much development. All of this can be somewhat frustrating at moments (especially if I’ve just read a work by Thoreau or something of that sort). However, there are a few treasures near the town I live in. We have some relaxing hiking trails in the Ramapo Mountain Reservation, which give me an opportunity to unwind and seclude myself from the overwhelming force of modernity. Although I enjoy the outdoors, I do love to travel into the colorful and diverse New York City from time to time. It is especially convenient since it’s only a train stop away from where I live.

Aside from writing, I thoroughly enjoy baking and cooking. I love to bake desserts, and it is really rewarding to see friends and family enjoying the food I prepare for them. I also like to snowboard during the winter, knit, read, spend time outside, and most of all, relax and talk with friends. I believe we can learn the most from those we care about the most, so I try to spend a great deal of time with those people. I’m also really interested in art history, so I love going to museums and reading on the subject.

I often received constructive criticism or some form of praise on my written works that others have read (or graded for class). I haven’t had “bad” experiences necessarily, but there have been times when I’ve felt the way I prepared my work was to the best of my abilities and something to feel proud of, only to feel crushed by hard, yet suggestive criticisms. Those incidences lead me to question my ability to write. When it comes to giving feedback to others, I can look back on my experience working on my high school’s literary magazine staff. I try to give constructive suggestions when giving feedback, but I prefer to arrange my critiques softly rather than in a blunt and super direct way.

I am highly influenced by musicians because they represent an element of wildness and liberation that I love. If I had to choose the three lyricists that I consider my favorites, I would say Jim Morrison of The Doors, Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin, and Janis Joplin. Their words beautifully portray the strongest emotions a human being can feel—love and pain. I also love to read e.e. cummings because of his abstract structure, and I also enjoy the British romantics, like William Wordsworth and Lord Byron. Shel Silverstein writes really playful and fun poems, and I find those great to read as well.

Good poetry is good. Why? It is interesting to read because of its imaginative imagery and ability to connect with my experiences and feelings. I feel the most inspired by a poem when I can relate to the feelings described in it. In this class, I would like to expand my creative horizons and develop more imaginative imagery than I have been using. I also hope to work on writing poetry that “fits in the box” (I’m not one who holds an affinity for using formal/specific structures when writing poetry), and eventually begin to enjoy it. I want to learn to be a better writer, one that is adept at using constructive feedback, knowledgeable about analyzing poetry, and is willing to put forth the effort to create powerful and imaginative poetry.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Mattie!
    I just wanted to say I really enjoyed reading your post. =)

    I like Janis Joplin a lot too. I don't know if you've ever heard the song "Mercedes Benz" (though I'm guessing so), but it's a favorite of mine. Also, the lyrics "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose" have always done something for me.

    I look forward to reading your stuff!

    ReplyDelete